In the broadest sense yes. With a bit thought, application and practice we can all write something of merit be it a Facebook post of a tweet. But it takes a certain type of person to be an author of books.
Essential qualities all authors must have:-
- Realism – it’s a tough world out there for writers.
- Optimism – someone, someday will see my potential.
- Pain management – it hurts to write (if you’re doing it properly), it hurts not to write (if you are driven to write).
4. Levelheadedness – they love me, they love me not. Rejection can be death by a thousand cuts. Can you withstand that and come back writing?
5. The ability to daydream – Where do you think all those crazy ideas come from – even the ones that never make it to the page.
6. Dogged determination – Never give up, never give up, never give up!
7. Pragmatism – if something isn’t working, is there a way of doing it better or doing it differently?
8. Stamina – It’s a long haul to write a book, a longer haul to edit and market it. Have you got what it takes to become the literary equivalent of a marathon runner.
9. A thick skin – they said what about me? Shrug your shoulders and move on – it’s not you, it’s them!
10. The ability to multi task – there will always be at least three writing related things to do – six if you are an indie author. Make like an octopus!
Can anyone be an author? Yes but to be a successful one I think you need all of the above. What do you think?